Pages

The Crazy Girls Guide to....SQUIRREL! Ahem...The Crazy Girls Guide to Staying Sane. Yeah, that's it.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Persephone's Skin and Bones

Hey folks -

As you know, as I go around discovering things to try, I bring them to you, and I am about ready to give "bone broth" a try.  So here are the basics that you need to know about bone broth. 

Bone broth is made from taking any animal bones (but the joints and knuckles have the best mineral profile) and simmering them in a pot for hours or days.  You can make it in batches, or you can have "perpetual bone broth" in a dedicated crock pot.

Some health benefits of bone broth are purported to be:

Treatment and prevention for colds and flu as well as treatment for mineral deficiencies.  Bone broths contain a high quantity of the vital minerals calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, sulfur, fluoride, sodium and potassium.
Consumption of bone broth can combat anxiety and insomnia, heal wounds and improve skin.

For more check this out:  http://www.livestrong.com/article/337123-bone-soup-nutrition/

So now...how to make it?  Where to get the bones?  What the heck do you DO with it?  For answers to these questions I refer you to the following posts that say it better than I can.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/bone-broth-101/

http://www.traditional-foods.com/bone-broth/

This is probably something I am a few weeks away from working on, but it's definitely on my radar,  especially since mineral deficiencies can exacerbate many "mental health" issues, and getting my body and its nourishment profile to balance and stabilize is one of my top priorities.  

So, here you go.  From the person who brought you green smoothies, I hope you enjoy this little foray into the world of bone broth.

-Seph

No comments:

Post a Comment