Pages

The Crazy Girls Guide to....SQUIRREL! Ahem...The Crazy Girls Guide to Staying Sane. Yeah, that's it.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Abby Derailed

Hello, folks!  I'm not entirely sure this will make sense tomorrow, but I'm going to post even though it's a day late.

I quit smoking for the eleventeenth time 13.65 days ago.  I have an app that tells me this fact.  It also says that I haven't smoked 136 cigarettes and have saved $37.56.  I am very proud of this, however, it has completely derailed my brain.  I have been an on again off again (mostly on) smoker for about 12 years.  Many people with ADHD self-medicate with nicotine.  It's a stimulant, and I could list all sorts of research on the effect it has on people with ADHD, how it's helpful with the concentration and brain function, but I'm going to link to a blog that explains things better than I.  Here's that link.

Here's my problem.  My medication works great when I am taking all of it.  I didn't realize the nicotine part of it was so important until my husband pointed out that I've been pretty scattered for about 2 weeks.  Next Thursday I go in for a med checkup, and then things will get better.  However, I've forgotten my pre-medication coping mechanisms.  It would be a huge understatement to say that my inability to concentrate and forgetfulness and impulsiveness is frustrating.  The bedroom isn't going to get done.  I'm lucky that I've been getting to work on time.  I would have no chance at that without my husband keeping me on task in the morning.  I'm clinging to my calendar and hoping that I don't screw things up too badly.  Of course, now would be the time I have all sorts of projects at work.  I hate it when my brain doesn't work right.

No comments:

Post a Comment