Pages

The Crazy Girls Guide to....SQUIRREL! Ahem...The Crazy Girls Guide to Staying Sane. Yeah, that's it.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

First Post...of DOOM!

Abby here, hello world!

I have been charged with creating a morning routine.  Although this sounds horribly boring to me, research shows that it will help me have more energy at the end of the day.  That, and I would like to get to work on time and not feel rushed.  With all the chaos in my life right now (when isn't is chaotic, really?)  (The audience doesn't know, but the answer is rarely), I'm willing to try anything.  That's why I'm here.  Here is my current morning routine, so you can get a feel for what I'm starting with here.

7 AM: Alarm #1 goes off, snooze it!
7:05-7:30 AM:  repeated snoozing.
7:30 AM:  Alarm #2 goes off.  Snooze it!
8 AM:  Analog alarm goes off.  Can you guess?  SNOOZE!
8:15 AM:  Finally get up.  Cranky.  Take medicine.  Hop in shower.
8:30 AM:  Realize I have leave for work in 15 minutes, and I haven't yet had breakfast.  Rummage for socks. Give up and wear mismatched ones.  Get dressed.  Skip breakfast.
8:45 AM:  Almost ready, time for one more thing (usually cleaning out litter boxes, washing a couple dishes, can't find my watch, oh noes!)
9 AM:  Supposed to be at work.
9:05-9:15:  Actually get to work.

This is no way to start my day, but it's the most common variant.  Sometimes I forget where my glasses are, other times I trip over a cat, but you get the idea.  I oversleep, then I rush, then I forget things.  I don't often eat breakfast (BAD Abby!), and it's a rare event when I'm at work early.

I'm actually much better than before I started medication, if you can believe it.

So, lifehack has a 5 step process for putting your morning routine into place.
1.  Draft a short list of the things you do each morning and what you'd like to add.
Take medicine
Read
Shower
Get dressed
Breakfast
Feed cats
2.  Figure out how much time it realistically takes to do everything on your list.
medicine: <5 minutes
read: 30 minutes
shower: 15-20 minutes
get dressed: 30-45 minutes
breakfast: 30 minutes
feed cats: <5 minutes
3.  Adjust your wake time to accommodate your new routine.
It looks like about 2 hours.  The earliest time I have to be at work is 9am, so if I wake up at 6:30am, it'll give me enough time to do everything and get to work early.
4.  Go through your list at least two times before making adjustments.
5.  Once your adjustments are made, enjoy!


I am going to start this on Monday.  I'll keep posting on how it's going.


Wish me luck!
Abby



1 comment: