Pages

The Crazy Girls Guide to....SQUIRREL! Ahem...The Crazy Girls Guide to Staying Sane. Yeah, that's it.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Abby Says - I want to be a Time Lord

One of the most annoying problems for me is my inability to manage time.  It is a symptom of ADHD, and something I've been struggling with my whole life.  I remember writing my entire high school term paper at 2 AM the night before it was due and getting an A.  I used to be proud of that.  Now I realize that's just messed up.

It doesn't have to be this way.  The first thing I need to do is figure out how long it actually takes to do things.  According to my awesome book, More Attention, Less Deficit:  Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD (hereafter known as MALD), people with ADHD are time blind.  We just don't see time and future consequences clearly.  We understand the theory, we just have trouble getting it to work.  One of the suggestions to help with this problem is to actually time how long it takes to do common activities and write it down for future planning purposes.  This way I can avoid the temptation to convince myself that I'll do it faster the next time.

So I've grabbed my Life Improvement Notebook (LIN) and am writing down everything I do to get ready for bed.  Tonight I'll time how long each part takes.  I'll do the same for my morning routine and report the results tomorrow.

Ta!
Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment