Pages

The Crazy Girls Guide to....SQUIRREL! Ahem...The Crazy Girls Guide to Staying Sane. Yeah, that's it.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Abby Says - Perhaps I started at the wrong end of my day.

It's 3 AM and I'm still awake.  This is a common problem for me.  Many people with ADHD have difficulty getting a good night's sleep.  Lack of a good night's sleep makes managing my ADHD even more difficult the next day.  I now realize I'm trying to start my routine at the wrong end of the day.  In order to create a morning routine, I'm first going to have to start getting enough sleep.

I'm reading an excellent book called  More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD by Ari Tuckman.  This book was made for people like me, and so far I love it.  It's written in short chapters, has well-defined subjects, I can use the index to pinpoint the exact problem I'm struggling with, and the bottom corner of each page is perforated so I can mark what I've already read.  BRILLIANT!

And on page 300:  Actually get a good night's sleep.  Bingo!

Some of the reasons why people with ADHD don't get enough sleep:
Procrastination - no, I'm not up late finishing things I didn't get done earlier.
Hyperfocus - not exactly, I'm not enjoying watching TV, and frankly, blogging hasn't really gotten fun yet.
Intentionally staying up too late - Houston, we have a problem, and this is it.  Consequences be damned, I just don't want to sleep and I don't know why.
An overactive mind - Not today
Stimulant medication - Wellbutrin is an NDRI, which acts much like a stimulant would.  Focalin is a stimulant which works wonderfully for me until about 9 PM, at which time there's no longer enough in my system to have an effect.
A true sleep disorder - I don't think so, but I've never done a sleep study.  I do snore though, or so I'm told.

Here are the author's suggestions for getting a good night's sleep:
Get on a schedule - go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends.  Weekends?!
Limit caffeine after noon - What?!  If you take stimulant medication (sigh) then you may especially want to limit your caffeine.  NOOO!
Create a prebedtime routine - I can do this.
Finding calming activities to help you unwind before bed
Exercise helps sometimes - I think yoga can accomplish both this one and be a calming activity.  Or so I've heard.
Set a bedtime alarm - I can totally do that!  I'll have to make sure I don't hit the snooze button.

Later today, (if I haven't fallen asleep under my desk) I'll make a prebedtime routine, choose a definite bedtime, check out a yoga DVD from the library, and set my alarm.  I make no promises for the weekend OR caffeine.

Abby

P.S. Did you check out that link?  Podcasts, presentations, and events, oh my!  This is a must have resource for adults with ADHD/ADD.  LOOK AT IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment