Pages

The Crazy Girls Guide to....SQUIRREL! Ahem...The Crazy Girls Guide to Staying Sane. Yeah, that's it.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Abby - WTF

Last week was hell.  Mostly.
Monday - Husband in the hospital.
Tuesday - House robbed in the middle of the day.  SRSLY?!  Friend goes to the emergency room that night.  I pick up their daughter and watch her while friend and husband are in the hospital.
Wednesday - Finally find the cats.  They are terrified.  Talk to insurance.  Discover they are called claim adjusters because they take your claim and adjust it to what they prefer.
Thursday - Husband comes home.  Collects serial numbers and pictures and calls detective and insurance.
Friday - Bright spot: saw the Naptown Rollergirls in action.  Of course they won.
Saturday - Fancy literacy fundraising dinner with the PILs and friends.

So, it ended well anyway.  The only thing that has kept me going throughout last week was one slogan from Al Anon:  Do the next right thing.  Sometimes that thing was calling the police, others it was not telling my husband we'd been robbed until after he was past the worst parts.  On Tuesday night it was spending time with my 10 year old friend watching The Princess Bride and drinking tea while we waited for her parents to get home from the hospital.
She said, "I'm scared, Aunt Abby."
I said, "Me too."
"Whatever.  Nothing scares you, Auntie."
I just about cried.  I told her, "Sure it does.  It's what you do when you're scared that makes all the difference.  And what we do right now is send up a prayer for your mom, go home, and watch The Princess Bride."  
Her mom has completely recovered.

Random thoughts about the Flylady website.  First of all, the site was definitely designed for people with time on their hands.  The layout isn't user-friendly at all.  I had to turn off email notifications because I was getting nearly 20 emails per day with all kinds of advice for which I wasn't ready and didn't have time to read.  I find her writing style to be patronizing and annoying.  I don't like being referred to as a Precious FlyBaby.
On the other hand, the advice itself has been great.  I feel more productive in makeup, I try to shine my sink every day.  I won't be doing Day 3 because that's reading through the convoluted maze that is the Flylady site.  I stopped doing the BabySteps last week for obvious reasons, so now I'm on Day 4.  This day involves sticky notes (I dislike them) so Day 5 is to counter my negative self-defeating thoughts with happy shiny self-love.  Luckily I don't have any negative thoughts because I'm a freaking rock star.  On to Day 6!  I have to put out a Hot Spot.

A Hot Spot is an area in a room that, if left unattended, will take over and grow into a cluttery monster of epic proportions.  One of the hot spots in our house is the living room coffee table.  I think I've found another gem.  I'm going to go clean it now.  I hope the monster doesn't try to eat my fingers.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a week. Sorry you had to go through all that, but it sounds like you were able to come out the other end of it ok and still (mostly) positive. Quite an achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I needed to hear that.

    -Abby

    ReplyDelete