Pages

The Crazy Girls Guide to....SQUIRREL! Ahem...The Crazy Girls Guide to Staying Sane. Yeah, that's it.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Abby says - TA DA!

The living room is clean, organized, and things are precisely where I want them.  This may not seem like much to most people, but it is nothing less than a miracle for me.  I haven't had a clean and well-organized living room of my own since 2000.  I am NOT kidding.  Technically that doesn't even count because it was a shared living room in a sorority-like situation while I was in college.  There were 16 women keeping it clean.  Well, 15 if I don't include me, which I shouldn't.

How did you do it, Abby?  I'm so glad you asked!  Here is a breakdown of my process.

1.  I set aside a specific time to do it and made sure to not make plans to do other things (which is how I avoid most housework).
2.  I broke the big task into smaller chunks.
3.  I asked for help, specifically from my husband.
4.  We let ourselves take breaks and took turns being the motivator.
5.  We were goofy!  We chased each other with cleaning products.  We danced with mops.  It was fun.  Cleaning was fun?!

We wanted to have it finished yesterday, but plans didn't work out quite how we wanted so we finished it tonight.  That bugged me a bit at first, but then I realized it's perfectly fine.  Our living room was already cleaner than it had been since we moved in last May.

Now two rooms (the other being the kitchen, which is the husband's domain) are just the way we want them!  One more to go and the house will be presentable for the first holiday gathering on Friday.  The first holiday gathering at my house ever.  As in, at any domicile wherein I pay the rent kind of ever.  Let's just day, most of my friends don't know my address because they may show up unexpectedly and kill me via embarrassment of my surroundings.

BEWARE!  Beware, bedroom with your dust bunnies and spare cats, your socks hiding in the darkness.  Be frightened, bathroom of doom.  Cower, ye front room of things-that-have-no-place yet.  I am coming for you, and you shall despair!

No comments:

Post a Comment