Pages

The Crazy Girls Guide to....SQUIRREL! Ahem...The Crazy Girls Guide to Staying Sane. Yeah, that's it.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Things Persephone Has Learned About Cooking

So I have been cooking "real" meals for about 3 or 4 weeks now, and here are some things I have learned:

1. My kitchen sucks.  Seriously, when I moved into this apartment, my friends who are cooks looked disdainfully at my kitchen, but I (total bachelor) waved them off, because the kitchen at the time was the least of my concerns.  Now I am stuck with it until April 2013.

2. My dishwasher sucks even more. OK, I knew this before I started "cooking" but now it's just more aggregious due to the fact that I have to run it practically every day now.

3. I produce a lot of waste.  I have never had to take the trash out this often before.  I live on the third floor.  This is not happiness in my tone.

4.  I lack essential tools.  Things I have recently acquired - spices (all of them), cooking oils, a crock pot, a weber grill, knives that are not nearly as good as I need them to be, a muffin tin, skewer, special produce saving tupperware, and a garlic press.  Things I still need - a large skillet, a cast iron skillet, a food processor, a potato peeler, a veggie slicer, a food dehydrator (for jerky), a second crock pot, MUCH better knives, oh and about 10 years of previous kitchen know how, but I think I'm SOL on that last one.

5.  I do not suck at cooking.  I mean, I'm nothing fantastic, but so far all of my food has been edible, most of it has even been yummy, and none of it has made me sick or tried to kill me.  I count that as a win.

And since I like lists that end in multiples of five, I think that's all I've got for tonight. 

-Seph

No comments:

Post a Comment