Pages

The Crazy Girls Guide to....SQUIRREL! Ahem...The Crazy Girls Guide to Staying Sane. Yeah, that's it.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Get Angry, then Carry On.

My life is unpredictable, to say the least.  I've been out of commission for a few days, but my family and I are doing better.

I'm sure you have something in your life that throws you for a loop, harshes your mellow, screws up your life plan.  This is how I get back on my feet after life goes all crazycakes.

1.  The crazy happens.
2.  I make it worse.
3.  I feel sorry for myself.
4.  I mope, continuing to feel sorry for myself, deciding that I'm not going to get up at all.  If I do get up, I'm not the least bit productive, spending all my awake time staring at some kind of screen.
5.  After a length of time directly proportional to the severity of the insanity, I get pissed off.  I think, "Are you going to just sit there and be a bum when there's stuff to do?"
6.  I answer myself.  The answer is yes, yes I am going to just sit here.

I'd like to say I meditate, or say the serenity prayer, or give myself a pep talk.  I do none of these things, though I probably should.  Nope, I get mad.  I yell at myself.  If I'm doing well, it's all in my head.  If not, I probably scare the crap out of my husband, my cats, and my neighbors.  Then, I pick something in the house on which to direct my energy and attack it.  While I declare war on dirt, my husband helps when he can, stays out of the way otherwise, and makes sure I remember to eat.  He's really good at that.
Now I'm exhausted, still a bit irritated at myself, but I have really shiny floors.  There is no dust in my living room.  We have shrink wrapped the windows.  After a couple more days I'll have gotten over The Event and can examine things from a calmer distance.  Then I figure out what I can change to avoid the same problem in the future.

The most important part of the entire process happens at the very end.  It's happening as I type this, actually.  I forgive myself.  I have grand plans of perfection and orderliness which don't turn out how I want, and that is ok.  I don't have to be perfect, I only want to do the next right thing.  Now I'm going to admire my sparkly sparkly floors and go to bed.

-Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment